|VP - Development|
Harlem Village Academies
Today in Harlem and other disadvantaged areas, only 9 of 100 children born into poverty will graduate from college. This social injustice is a moral outrage.
The VP, Development of Harlem Village Academies will possess the following attributes and competencies:
Passion for the Mission
The VP, Development will have a demonstrated passion for the mission of Harlem Village Academies and a commitment to remaining focused on the goals of the organization. S/he will believe strongly in the ability of progressive education and the impact of the five schools encompassed in HVA.
The VP, Development will have a clear understanding that fundraising is a fundamental aspect of the success of the organization and will enthusiastically participate in those efforts. S/he will work in close collaboration with the Board, staff and volunteers to strategically work towards HVA’s desired outcomes in this regard and build and maintain relationships on behalf of the organization. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Cultivate and solicit donors in the five- to seven-figure range
· Secure event leadership and honorees for HVA’s annual benefit
· Create and steward deep, long-lasting relationships with prospective and current major donors
· Build relationships with major donors, foundations and other stakeholders and coordinate communications and generate continued and increased support for fundraising initiatives
· Work collaboratively with the development team on cultivation events throughout the year
The VP, Development will have a willingness to think creatively about how to achieve goals as well as an excitement for innovative approaches. S/he will be a thoughtful risk-taker always looking for new opportunities and win/win partnerships. With a focus on outcomes and impact, s/he will be excited about the ability to creatively envision the future and then move the organization in that direction.
The VP, Development must work in a collaborative manner, building relationships and promoting HVA throughout the community. With highly developed interpersonal skills and strong negotiation skills, s/he will bring a variety of strategies and techniques designed to reach mutually beneficial goals over time.QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a highly intelligent, driven individual with a passion for education and a track record of success in cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of investors or donors. He or she will be extraordinarily gracious and professional, with a high level of comfort interfacing with CEOs, corporate executives and high net worth individuals.
· At least five to seven years’ successful experience cultivating deep relationships with major donors or investors
· Demonstrated success increasing the number of donors and/or investors in a portfolio of prospects, as well as the scale of contributions
· Highly self-motivated to set, pursue and achieve ambitious goals, while meeting deadlines and attending to details
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate a compelling message to various constituencies
· Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable with exceptionally high standards
· Deeply committed to mission; willing to be hands-on
· Adept at managing and following through on multiple projects at once, under deadlines