|Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. Based in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty consistent access to accomplished master teachers and sophisticated professional learning opportunities. We’re learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons and improve our pedagogy. We’re passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We’re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
- Lead the development and implementation of highly engaging, best-in-class special education program that meets all students’ needs
- Ensure that the school remains in compliance with Special Education laws, as outlined in the CSE's Standard Operating Procedures Manual (SOPM), as well as those in the Chancellor’s new memorandum
- Coordinate the completion and implementation of Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPs)
- Coordinate with the Center for Special Education to secure and manage relevant service provider visits including hearing and vision screenings and student IEP reviews
- Oversee programs including integrated co-teaching classrooms and special education teacher support services
- Manage a Child Study Team to ensure the success of the CSE student referral process
- Provide high quality instruction to our special education students
- Attend appropriate trainings and information sessions coordinated by the Special Education Collaborative
- At least 5 years working in special education including in an integrated co-teaching setting
- Extensive experience and knowledge of NYC special education compliance laws and issues
- Skilled in differentiating curriculum across subject areas
- Experience in providing professional development to a special education team
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy preferred; a commitment to developing progressive pedagogy is essential
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level