Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. Based in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
At HVA, we believe that instructional staff at our schools should be free to focus on providing our students with a high-quality education. The operations teams at HVA support schools by maintaining efficient systems and removing obstacles, ensuring that our teachers and principals can concentrate on educating our students.
The Director of Data plays a critical role in supporting HVA students' success. By helping to build data systems that will get more data into the hand of parents, teacher and school leaders, and providing leaders with timely information, insightful analysis, and thought leadership using data, this role drives smart decisions and continual improvement across the organization.
Our ideal candidate is a smart, motivated high performer, with superlative organization skills, attention to detail, a strong sense of urgency and a customer service focus. You care about students receiving the best possible education and you want to grow in the education field. You connect with people quickly and effortlessly. You get around any obstacle in order to accomplish ambitious goals. You thrive as part of a dynamic, fun and committed team.
- Manage all external data reporting for SUNY, DOE, donors and other stakeholders
- Continuously improve processes, create specialized systems, and implement new technologies
- Evaluate, streamline and oversee data systems and internal reporting
- Support in the production of the organization’s annual report, and help prepare data for school inspections and charter renewal applications
- Project manage the annual setup of student information databases for all campuses
- Support analysis of student and school data to improve student, teacher, and school performance
- Additional data support and analysis as needed
The ideal candidate will be a highly intelligent, driven individual with a passion for public education. They will have a track record of success in data systems, analysis, and reporting, including using data to recommend strategic improvements to an organization's performance. In addition, s/he will have all or most of the following:
- Five years or more in data analysis in an educational setting
- Experience with PowerSchool, ATS, SESIS or other educational database strongly preferred
- Effective oral and written communication skills with an ability to communicate with various constituencies and to work comfortably with a variety of staff at all levels within the organization
- A self-starter with an extraordinary work ethic and capacity for problem-solving
- Commitment to being held accountable for results and holding others to high standards, with focus on results, teamwork, and continuous learning
- Shares all HVA values, including a deep conviction that educators are accountable for student motivation and learning at a high level
- Bachelor's degree required; relevant Master's degree preferred
All staff members are expected to be committed to the mission, vision and values of Harlem Village Academies, have a positive and professional attitude, exhibit a very strong work ethic and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.